Ladies Educational Society
Ladies Educational Society of St. George Scholarship Award for high school seniors or full-time college students.
The Ladies Educational Society encourages all high school seniors, college and graduate students to apply for the LES scholarships. Scholarships are renewable so past applicants should reapply. Application deadline is June 30, 2020.
Please contact Mary Diamantakos for an application at
Mdiamantakos@hotmail.com or (773) 965-1901
- Applicant must be a high school senior or a full-time college student. The only exception is if the applicant is pursuing a graduate degree, then he/she may be a part-time student.
- Applicant is pursuing a Bachelor's or graduate degree.
- Applicant is enrolling or is enrolled at an accredited university or junior college.
- Applicant's family is a steward of Saint George for more than one year - applied to applicant pursuing a Bachelor's Degree.
- Applicant is a steward of Saint George - applied to applicant pursuing a graduate degree.
- Applicant must be Orthodox but not necessarily of Greek descent.
Amount: A $1,000 scholarship is available for applicants pursuing a Bachelor's Degree and a scholarship up to $1,000 for those pursuing a graduate degree. The scholarship will be paid directly to the college or university chosen by the applicant.
Selection: The Scholarship Committee of the Ladies Educational Society of St. George will review submitted applications and award the scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Grades/Grade Point Average
- Letters of Recommendation
- Community (Church) Service/Volunteerism
- Applicants must complete the attached application form (typed).
- Solicit (2) recommendations to be completed by educators at the applicant's current school of attendance. (Letters of recommendation from supervisors at place of employment will be accepted on a case by case basis.)
- Secure copies of transcripts of high school or college grades, and include a brief explanation of family or personal needs.
- Finally, the committee requests a typed essay concerning goals and objectives for college and beyond. The essay should be a minimum of 500 words, and must be typed, signed, and dated by applicant.
All applications, forms, inquiries and correspondence should be sent directly to:
Mary Diamantakos, Scholarship Committee
c/o St. George Greek Orthodox Church
2701 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Deadline: Complete applications and recommendation letters must be received on or before June 30, 2020. Applicants will be notified by July 31, 2020.
Join us for our annual Shrimp Luncheon! Make your reservations today!
Congratulations to our newly elected Ladies Educational Society Executive Committee!
Mary Diamantakos, President; Maria Anzell, Vice President; Catherine Linou, Recording Secretary; Evangelia Tsipas, Corresponding Secretary; Sophie Radlowski, Treasurer
Congratulations to Konstantino Morakalis the recipient of The Theodore N. And Chrisanthy Catranis memorial Scholarship and Anna Smith recipient of the Ladies Educational Society Scholarship!
Και σε ανώτερα!
In 2018 the Saint George Community reached two milestones: St. George has been a staple institution in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood for ninety-five (95) years; and the Ladies Educational Society celebrated 90 years of service to the parishioners of St. George. It is the oldest organization – older that Philoptochos.
The history of St. George is no different than the history of many other Greek Orthodox churches in America. Immigrants from different parts of Greece would either purchase land to build churches or purchase existing buildings to convert to churches. Together with the churches they also established schools to preserve and propagate the Greek language and culture among the youth. In 1928, the Ladies Educational Society was organized at St. George by the Very Reverend Archimandrite Daniel Golemis with its purpose being the support of the Greek School.
Through its ninety years of existence and the collective and diligent work of its members, the Society has supported and continues to support the Greek School, Preschool, Sunday School, Little Angels, and Altar Boys. It has purchased room dividers, school supplies, books and other instructional and non-instructional items. Every year the Society offers scholarships to eligible recipients.
The parish of St. George has embarked on an ambitious Capital Restoration and Renovation Project with a campaign goal of $1 million. Toward meeting this goal, the Ladies Educational Society has pledged and donated $10,500.
The Ladies Educational Society welcomes new members and will continue its vital mission of support to the educational ministries and its beloved St. George for another ninety years.
The Ladies Educational Society was established in 1928 for the purpose of supporting the Greek School. It is the oldest organization at St. George. While supporting the Greek School, the Ladies Educational Society also supports the Preschool, Sunday School, Little Angels as well as any needs and requests we are able to fulfill on behalf of our parish.
We are dedicated; work collectively and diligently by fundraising to support our ministry to St. George. Our commitment drives us to support and work with families in order to serve the children of our parish to the best of our abilities.
Events we Sponsor
Autumn Champagne Brunch
Annual Shrimp Luncheon
Greek Independence Day Program
Saturday of Lazarus Breakfast
Holy Friday Retreat
Greek School Graduation & Year End Program
Hellenic Letters Luncheon
St. George Vespers Reception
Feast Day of St. George Luncheon
Parish Christmas Card
Apokriatiko Dinner Dance
Greek American Rehabilitation and Care Center
Hellenic Legacy Greek Independence Day
School Supplies for our Schools
Prayer book & supplies to OCF
Students Christmas Goodie Bags for Students Altar Boys & Sunday School Teachers
Updating of the Classrooms
New Liturgy Books
St. Iakovos Retreat Center
Holy Cross School in Brookline
St. Athanasios Consecration Commemoration Book (Gulf Shores, Alabama)
Hellenic Heritage Parade
The Capital Campaign
Funds towards the church / school roof restoration
Ladies Educational Society of Saint George is celebrating 90th years of Service to our church.