Ladies Educational Society
Congratulations to our newly elected Ladies Educational Society Executive Committee!
Mary Diamantakos, President; Maria Anzell, Vice President; Catherine Linou, Recording Secretary; Evangelia Tsipas, Corresponding Secretary; Sophie Radlowski, Treasurer
Join the Ladies Educational Society for their annual Brunch!
Make your reservations today!
Congratulations to our The Theodore N. And Chrisanthy Catranis memorial Scholarship Recipients!
Και σε ανώτερα!
In 2018 the Saint George Community reached two milestones: St. George has been a staple institution in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood for ninety-five (95) years; and the Ladies Educational Society celebrated 90 years of service to the parishioners of St. George. It is the oldest organization – older that Philoptochos.
The history of St. George is no different than the history of many other Greek Orthodox churches in America. Immigrants from different parts of Greece would either purchase land to build churches or purchase existing buildings to convert to churches. Together with the churches they also established schools to preserve and propagate the Greek language and culture among the youth. In 1928, the Ladies Educational Society was organized at St. George by the Very Reverend Archimandrite Daniel Golemis with its purpose being the support of the Greek School.
Through its ninety years of existence and the collective and diligent work of its members, the Society has supported and continues to support the Greek School, Preschool, Sunday School, Little Angels, and Altar Boys. It has purchased room dividers, school supplies, books and other instructional and non-instructional items. Every year the Society offers scholarships to eligible recipients.
The parish of St. George has embarked on an ambitious Capital Restoration and Renovation Project with a campaign goal of $1 million. Toward meeting this goal, the Ladies Educational Society has pledged and donated $10,500.
The Ladies Educational Society welcomes new members and will continue its vital mission of support to the educational ministries and its beloved St. George for another ninety years.
The Ladies Educational Society was established in 1928 for the purpose of supporting the Greek School. It is the oldest organization at St. George. While supporting the Greek School, the Ladies Educational Society also supports the Preschool, Sunday School, Little Angels as well as any needs and requests we are able to fulfill on behalf of our parish.
We are dedicated; work collectively and diligently by fundraising to support our ministry to St. George. Our commitment drives us to support and work with families in order to serve the children of our parish to the best of our abilities.
Events we Sponsor
Autumn Champagne Brunch
Annual Shrimp Luncheon
Greek Independence Day Program
Saturday of Lazarus Breakfast
Holy Friday Retreat
Greek School Graduation & Year End Program
Hellenic Letters Luncheon
St. George Vespers Reception
Feast Day of St. George Luncheon
Parish Christmas Card
Apokriatiko Dinner Dance
Greek American Rehabilitation and Care Center
Hellenic Legacy Greek Independence Day
School Supplies for our Schools
Prayer book & supplies to OCF
Students Christmas Goodie Bags for Students Altar Boys & Sunday School Teachers
Updating of the Classrooms
New Liturgy Books
St. Iakovos Retreat Center
Holy Cross School in Brookline
St. Athanasios Consecration Commemoration Book (Gulf Shores, Alabama)
Hellenic Heritage Parade
The Capital Campaign
Funds towards the church / school roof restoration
Ladies Educational Society of Saint George is celebrating 90th years of Service to our church.